Index of Labels

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Searching sometimes brings up unexpected surprises


Wilbur Garrett Leigh 1901-1997 was listed in my missing individual ordinances list.  I did not have his endowment and sealing to parents dates.  I usually find the person’s PIN and look on Family Tree to get the ordinance information.  I have a number of individuals in my database that I am not familiar with.  Wilbur was one of them.  As I looked him up, I found that he was married to Wilma Alphadine Martindale.  I immediately recognized the family connection. She was Lysander’s great granddaughter.  I got most of this information from my third cousin Adrian O. Gee from Oakley, Idaho.  I wanted some further documentation, so I went to the BYU Idaho website that contains a Western States Marriage index.  This would give me the marriage date if it was in the database.  I did find a marriage date for Wilma Alphadine Martindale to her first husband George Oliver Tadlock.
Western States Marriage Index
Groom Last Name:        TADLOCK
Groom First Name: George Oliver
Groom Residence:        Oakley
Bride Last Name:        MARTINDALE
Bride First Name: Wilma
Bride Residence:        Oakley
Place:        Burley
Date: 04 Mar 1919
County of Record:        Cassia
State:        Idaho
Volume:        2
Page: 285

I reasoned that if I could find Wilma and George’s marriage, I ought to be able to find Wilbur and Wilma’s marriage record as well.

I found a marriage record for Wilbur, but there was a surprise, as you will see.
Western States Marriage Index
Groom Last Name:    LEIGH
Groom First Name: W. Garrett
Groom Residence:        Burley, Cassia, Idaho
Bride Last Name: HOGG
Bride First Name: Wilma A.
Bride Residence:        Burley, Cassia, Idaho
Place:        Rupert
Date: 05 Nov 1938
County of Record:        Minidoka
State:        Idaho
Volume:        4
Page: 105
 Here is the link:

The groom had the same name, but the bride had a different surname.  Could it be that Wilma had been married to a man named Hogg after the marriage to George Tadlock? I decided to do some further sleuthing.

I looked for a groom with the surname Hogg and see if there was any information.  Let us see what the record showed.
Western States Marriage Index
Groom Last Name: HOGG
Groom First Name: June R.
Groom Residence:   
Bride Last Name:        TADDLOCK
Bride First Name: Wilma A.
Bride Residence:   
Place:        Rupert
Date: 01 Dec 1933
County of Record:        Minidoka
State:        Idaho
Volume:        3
Page: 279

The next thing to do was to look on Family Tree and see if Wilma had three husbands.  She did not, only two were listed; George Oliver Tadlock and Wilbur Garrett Leigh.  I added June R. Hogg as a spouse.  When you add a person to Family Tree the computer looks for a match for that person in the system that may not be linked.  I found no such a match, so June is now in there, linked to Wilma as a spouse.  We have documentary evidence to support such a conclusion.

In my searching I found a Draft Registration for George Tadlock and found him listed in the 1900 census in his parents home.  I always look in Find A Grave to see of I can find any information about an individual.  George was buried in Wells City Cemetery in Wells, Elko, Nevada.

In searching for June R. Hogg, he seems to be one of those elusive characters.  I do not know if he changed his name.  I wonder secretly if he changed it to Pigg instead.  Or maybe he was teased unmercifully about having a girl’s given name.  There is a chance perhaps, that I can find him eventually. 

There are more surprises in store.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. you are amazing. Honestly, are you sure you don't want a job as a detective in the sheriff's office? You just make it look so easy and uncomplicated. You follow such an amazing trail to make these discoveries. All I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete