Index of Labels

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Relationships to prophets

Some years ago my brother Glendon asked if Salmon Gee joined the church because of the common ancestry between the Gee and Mack families. I carefully researched this and as far as I know there was no knowledge of the relationship. I looked in the Church History Department which was at the time known as the Archives of the Church historians office. I read all the hand-written journal of Zebedee Coltrin, the man that baptized Salmon Gee, looking for clues. I found none.

Recently my brother Martell asked whether Joseph Smith ever knew that he had a common ancestor with Brigham Young or Salmon Gee. In order to get an answer to this question, I asked my neighbor Ron Barney about this. Ron has been retired form the Church History Department and worked on the Joseph Smith papers. He is probably as knowledgeable as any one about the Prophet Joseph Smith. He stated that as far as he knew, Joseph and Brigham were not aware of their relationship.

To illustrate our relationship to the Mack family I wrote a brief explanation some time ago. Here is the link.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxseXNhbmRlcmdlZXdlYnNpdGV8Z3g6MWZkNjA5OTZhNGQ3MTk3Yg&pli=1

No comments:

Post a Comment