Index of Labels

Friday, April 19, 2013

Look what e-mail can bring






I received an e-mail from Judy Wolven (someone that I had never heard of before) inquiring about Solomon Gee.  She found my e-mail address from a post that I had placed on a Genealogy Bulletin Board a few years ago.  She was trying to connect her line with Solomon. She wrote as follows:



"Hello Laurence:



While searching for a place to read a copy of the book on Solomon Gee, I stumbled on your latest post at geneology.com.  I attempted to register so I could contact you, but am still waiting for my log in and password to be emailed to me.  I hope you don't mind that I emailed you directly, and I hope you have some information that could help me confirm what I've found about my link to Solomon.

I am the great-great granddaughter of Mary Gee, who married William Aldrich in Drummondville, Quebec on Feb. 28, 1828.  Witnesses to their marriage were a Solomon and Mary Gee.  The Aldrich family left Canada to settle in Ripton, VT circa 1860.
Solomon Gee also settled in Ripton, VT, and the records indicate he was born 1786 in Marlow NH, which would make him the son of Lewman, b. 1759 in Lyme, CT, the son of Solomon II, b. 1736."



I was strapped for time, but I do not like to let someone wait for an answer so I responded with: "I will look into this and get back to you this weekend."



It was over a week before I was able to respond. Finally I had some time and did some massaging of my database of descendants of Solomon Gee of Lyme Connecticut and sent her three generations of descendants of Solomon Gee II plus some additional information that I gathered from the Internet.



As I was rereading the information that I sent, I thought that the history of Solomon Gee II that I had and the short information on his wife Martha Bingham would be something that I could put into Family Tree Stories.  Some of the information is from the book, but some is from information gathered from e-mail correspondents over the past 9 years.



I copied the history and pasted into Stories in Family Tree. This has made this information that I have available to all of Solomon’s descendants, many of whom do not have access to the book or the resources that I have.  I will have to go through the book and extract the histories, if they are appropriate and enter them into Family Tree.



If you wish to see what I entered, Solomon Gee’s PIN is LZPP-GVP and Martha’s is LZD7-W9P



While I was at it, I found that I had placed a link to the Grave Marker of Martha Bingham in the discussions.  I deleted that and put the link in sources.  I also noted that there was no link to the grave marker of her husband Solomon Jr., so I added that as a source to his record.  I checked to see if there were any duplicates for Solomon and the program listed two.  Both were named Greer born in Groton Massachusetts, so I marked them as not a duplicate, so that someone else would not, in their zeal, merge them inappropriately.

Thus we have another Adventure in Family Tree.







1 comment:

  1. Yes, indeed, another great adventure for you and for us.

    ReplyDelete