Index of Labels

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Where do I store all this infromation?

I want to be able to link sources to the records in family tree. It is easy to add a story if it is in word processing format, such as Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, Word Pad, or an e-mail, but trying to attach a PDF file to stories, does not work.  There is, however, a workaround that I found out about when I went to the Roots Tech conference.  One can put in a URL to a website and then the individual who wants to look at the document can block, copy and paste the URL into the browser and be directed to a website with the PDF file.  That necessitates having the PDF file on a website.

I have a website for the Lysander Gee family. I also have one for photos of the Salmon Gee descendants. In addition I have one for the ward family history class. I did not want to put information on the ancestors of my mother, Pearl Stucki, on the Gee website.  This caused me to ponder and ask, where do I store all this information?  

The answer was to create another website.  So I did and here is the link:  I got out of my comfort zone with this one, but it worked out reasonably well 

I am in the process of adding files from my computer to the website as you can see.  The problem that I encountered was that some URLs are so long that they do not work well in Stories in Family Tree. Also I found by experimentation that if the URL is entered in as a link that it comes up a a string of ****** and is of no use at all.  If you leave of the HTTP// or WWW from the beginning of the URL and if it is short, then copy and paste into the browser works.

Here is an illustration. Click the Link.  You will see how I added the entire 600+ page journal of my Great Grandfather John Ulrich Stucki as a link to his record in Stories.  There may come a time when PDF files can be added directly to Family Tree, but this is the best way that I have come up to circumvent the problem.

The URL for his PDF journal was too long,so I had to just add the URL to the Stucki page, which was much shorter. I assume that people will be smart enough to go the the file if I direct them in an understandable manner.    

So much for now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment