Index of Labels

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Gee to McGee shift




I have been working on the descendants of Lysander Gee and his 21 children synching their records with New Family Search.  Yesterday I came across an individual by the name of Floyd T. Huntington.  He was married to Hazel Gee or Hazel Bates Gee in my record.  She is Listed In the 1910 Census in the household of Floyd G Gee age 23
Also listed in household were:
Father Austin, married, White, age 52, married 30 years, born in Utah, Father born in Ohio and Mother born in U.S.
Mother Phoebe, married, White, age 42, married 30 years, born in Utah, parents born In U.S.
Austin and Phoebe had 8 children and 6 were living at that time.

Floyd G. Gee's Wife Amanda age 23 married 0 years with one living child Born Colorado Parents born in Tennessee

Brother Earl age 19 single born in Idaho
Brother Howard 17 single born in Idaho
Brother Lavery(n) 11 single Born in Idaho
Sister Hazel 9 single Born in Montana
Stepson Ivan Morning, single age 4, Born Colorado, Father born in Illinois, mother born in Colorado

I found Floyd T. Huntington listed in New Family Search married to Hazel Evelyn McGee.  This Hazel was born in Lima, Montana in 1902.  From previous research on this family, I know that Phoebe Gee, Hazel Gee’s mother was living in Lima, Montana at about that time.  This was too much of a coincidence.  I believed Hazel Bates Gee and Hazel Evelyn McGee were the same individual.

I typed into Family Search Record Search the name of Hazel McGee and found her in the 1920 Census living in the household of Francis J. Long and Phoebe Long.  From the marriage records of Idaho we learn the following:
Groom Last Name:             LONG
Groom First Name:             Francis J.
Bride Last Name:                GEE
Bride First Name:                Phoebe
Place:     Mountain Home
Date:      09 Sep 1913
County of Record:               Elmore
State:      Idaho
Volume:                 22
Page:     23

The 1920 Census records lists the following:
Hazel E Mcgee
residence:
, Canyon, Idaho
estimated birth year:
1901
age:
19
birthplace:
Montana
relationship to head of household:
Step Daughter
gender:
Female
race:
White
marital status:
Single
father's birthplace:
Utah
mother's birthplace:
Utah
film number:
1820290
digital folder number:
4300161
image number:
00490
sheet number:
12

Household
Gender
Age
Birthplace
self
M
59y
Ireland
wife
F
52y
Utah

M
21y
Idaho

Hazel E Mcgee
F
19y
Montana

This was the proof that I needed to convince me that Hazel Evelyn McGee was Hazel Bates Gee.

I wrote up a case in my Adventures in New Family Search, which I entitled “The case of the elusive non-member descendant”  I described finding Floyd George Gee, Hazel’s brother and getting an obituary. (See the following link.)

Now I had two names for the same individual each with a different PIB number in New Family Search.  I clicked on possible duplicates, but it would not bring up the other name for Hazel.  Hazel Evelyn McGee did not have any parents listed.  I tried adding her as a child by trying to add a parent (Austin Gee).  This worked, but then left her father Austin with a child with no mother. When I tried to add Phoebe, using Family Tree, the system would not let me do it.  I went to New Family Search and added her to her mother and father as Hazel Evelyn McGee and then combined her with herself (Hazel Bates Gee),  Now the record is straight as you can see from the following link:





I next added some sources to document my conclusions. 

Just scroll down to sources.

I am not sure how these links will work so I have put the above information with screen shots into a PDF file and placed it in my Adventures in New Family Search with this link.








1 comment:

  1. Laurence, I'm glad that you are busy fixing up records in the Gee/McGee family. I have a similar sort-of scenario in my mother's line with a relative named Simkins, but sometimes it is SimPkins. So, because of the similar spellings, one person is often listed as two......I guess as long as it is correct in my own file, that is what really matters, eh?????

    ReplyDelete