Index of Labels

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Keach a familiar name


Keach, that name sounded a familiar note.  It was Stacy Keach Jr. that played Mike Hammer the private eye.  When I found Keach in my database, I was intrigued.  Was there somehow a family connection?  Being the inquisitive person that I am, I had to check this out.  In my printout of missing individual ordinances, I found George M. and Olive Bernice Keach without sealings to parents. In my notes George had the following entry. 

From Jeff Smith in Farmington:  He [George] ran off to Colorado to work in a mine and was never seen again. But before he left he left Elizabeth with a son named Eckley Martin Keach. Eckley Martin Keach married a wonderful lady named Edrie McCoy. Edrie's mother was Lydia Bates McCoy. Lydia's mother was Electa Gee, who of course is Lysander's daughter.

I was not able to find any parents for George.  That will have to wait for another day.  I did find information for his son Eckley Martin Keach.  He and his wife had five or perhaps six children.  I went online to the Utah Death Certificates and was able to find death certificates for two of the children, Edgar Martin and Richard.  I also found Olive Bernice’s obituary on line at Deseret News.  I placed these sources on their records at Family Tree.  From the obituary I found the names of Olive’s sons and put them in my database.  From Dexknows, I found addresses and telephone numbers for the two sons.  Both still live in  Salt Lake.

Unfortunately, I did not find a relationship to Stacy Keach Jr., but it is just as well, because he spent time in a London prison for possession of cocaine.  He played the part of a detective, but did not obey the law. 

There is mention in my record of a child that was born about 1920, but there is no record that I can find of this child. 

Another mystery to be cleared up is the mention in the obituary of a brother Patrick Delbert Keach of Colorado.  There is also a duplication of Eckley Martin Keach Jr. He seems to have gone by the name of Lee Mac also mentioned in the obituary and duplicated in Family Tree with birthdays two years apart.

I am not as familiar with this branch of the family, so I will have to do more research.

Of interest to me was the child that died from complications of a prolonged labor in the breech position and died after living one hour.  This was not an uncommon complication in those days.  Today with monitoring and C-section that complication would be rare.

1 comment:

  1. Your detective skills are at it again...you are a really great genealogy detective. I appreciate your skills.

    ReplyDelete