Index of Labels

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Dead men do tell tales (if you look at their graves)



More Sources
Or
Dead men do tell tales (if you look at their graves)

On 31 July 2011 I received an e-mail from a man in Colorado.  He  requested a copy of the book ”Descendants of Solomon Gee of Lyme Connecticut”  He said he was descended from Mary Gee.  This is what he wrote:

"My Gee connection is with a very elusive great great grand mother named Mary W. Gee.  She was born is Virginia 25 April 1826 and died in Panola County, Texas 18 November 1877.  She married Lewis Midyett 19 December 1843 in Williamson County, Tennessee.  Lewis was born in Tyrrell County, NC 1819.  I think he died in Texas but not sure.  Soon after the marriage, the entire clan of Midyetts moved to Panola County, Texas.

I have never been able to connect Mary Gee with any other Gees and hope that those in the book might shed some light on travels to Tennessee.

A daughter of Lewis and Mary was Jessie P Midyett. She was  born 15 Feb 1855 in Panola County, Texas and died there 18 April 1877. She married Henry B. Matthews (29 Oct 1846 = 18 May 1878)

Son of Jessie and Henry was Henry Pinkney Matthews (5 July 1874 - 2 Nov 1925). He married Mittie Virginia Oden (24 Jan 1879 -20 Jan 1930)  The Oden clan also came to Panola County Texas from Williamson County, Tennessee about the same time as the Midyetts.

Son of Mittie and Henry was Frank A Matthews, my father."

Since this letter was in a stack of papers on my desk, I decided to see if Mary was in Family Tree. To my delight she was.  Mary’s PIN was K2XN-G2V.  She was there with her husband.  I looked on Find a Grave and there she was at URL http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=midyett&GSfn=mary+&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=9330477&df=all&

From this information, I was able to make some changes in her record. There are eight in all.  I found a duplicate record for Mary and merged the two.

I found a son ( Lewis H. Midyett) that Noel did not list in his correspondence and added him to the record.

Also in Find A Grave there was no grave marker for Lewis Midyett, but the following information was posted on the website:

Birth: unknown Tyrrell County North Carolina, USA Death: unknown Panola County Texas, USA Born about 1819 in Tyrrell Co., North Carolina and died about 1887 in Panola County, Texas. A Find A Grave Photo Volunteer reports: There may have been a headstone at one time, but there is no longer one there. His wife and children are right there but he is not. The Caretaker said that he is buried there but he also saw no stone. Family links: Spouse: Mary W. Gee Midyett (1836 - 1877) Children: Lewis H. Midyett (1851 - 1876)* Emma Midyett Brumble (1862 - 1904)*


I posted this information in the Discussions on Lewis’s record in Family Tree. I also added the URL as a source on his record.

Checking for duplicates, I found one, but it was a duplicate for his father, which I merged. 

There was also a link to the following record:
Birth: 
Nov. 7, 1862
Death: 
May 22, 1904

Emma was a daughter of Lewis and Nancy Midyett.
Emma married Klebe Brumble.
To this union came these children;
Harmon Lewis Brumble(1885-1948)
Ruby Brumble (1887-1959)
Henry Grady Brumble (1892-1894)
George Earl Brumble (1899-1939)

Family links:
 Parents:
  Lewis Midyett

 Spouse:
  Kleber Brumble (1855 - 1898)

 Children:
  Harmon L Brumble (1885 - 1948)*
  Ruby Brumble Oden (1887 - 1959)*
  George Earl Brumble (1889 - 1939)*
  Henry Grady Brumble (1892 - 1894)*
This may well have been a daughter of Lewis and Mary because the dates fit, even though the mother has a different name here.  We will leave this to another time. 

There was a duplicate for Jessie, which I combined.
She too had a record in Find a Grave at:
I added this as a source.

Then I wrote an e-mail to Noel.
"Dear Noel,
I was reviewing you e-mail of July 31, 2011 and found the following information. There is a website Find A Grave.  I found the following links to your ancestors. You probably have them already, but here they are:

Mary Gee ( Click on the Link)
Also in Find A Grave there was no grave marker for Lewis Midyett, but the following information was posted on the website:
Birth: unknown Tyrrell County North Carolina, USA Death: unknown Panola County Texas, USA Born about 1819 in Tyrrell Co., North Carolina and died about 1887 in Panola County, Texas. A Find A Grave Photo Volunteer reports: There may have been a headstone at one time, but there is no longer one there. His wife and children are right there but he is not. The Caretaker said that he is buried there but he also saw no stone. Family links: Spouse: Mary W. Gee Midyett (1836 - 1877) Children: Lewis H. Midyett (1851 - 1876)* Emma Midyett Brumble (1862 - 1904)*
Lewis H. Midyett ( Click on the LInk)
And also for
Jessie (Click on the Link)

I hope you are well.  If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Sincerely,"

If I have information, or can find it easily, I add it to the record.




1 comment: