Index of Labels

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Elias Gee in quadruplicate


In the Gee family Record in my possession there are four individuals named Elias Gee.
Elias Gee LH27-8V9 the son of Lysander Gee
Elias Smith Gee K2MC-SVS the son of George Washington Gee I
Elias Amos Gee KWZG-N1T the son of George Washington Gee II
Elias Amos Gee II KLM9-C5K the son of Elias Amos Gee

I have a watch placed on most of the Gee family in New Family Search.
On April 22, 2012 I received a notification that there was a change in the record of Elias Gee.  When I looked, someone had added a record to Elias Gee’s record.  I wrote the following e-mail;
Dear Jackie,

On the 17th of April you made a change to the Record of Elias Gee LZ25-B8G.  I would appreciate it if we could correspond about this matter.
Sincerely,

She wrote back. This is something unusual in my experience.  I usually do not get a response to my e-mails.

How can I help you?  How did I change the record?    I'd be happy to correct any error I may have made.  Jackie

My response was as follows:
The record that you added had Elias's father as George Washington Gee and unknown as the mother.  This is an easy mistake.  Elias was the son of Lysander Gee and Theresa Bowley.  Emma Gee Blomstrom (Lysander's granddaughter) states that Elias Amos died early. 

George Washington Gee II (Lysander's nephew) also had a son by the name of Elias Amos.  Born June 29, 1869 and died 26 April 1936 of Prostate Cancer. His wife was Francis M. Bean.

Lysander's son Elias died without issue

In the Papers of Lysander Gee he is listed only as Elias, the Amos has given rise to duplication with George Washington's son and grandson both, which carry the name Elias.

You have the correct dates in your record, but the incorrect Parents.  Your record number is LZ25-B8G.  There is also and incorrect record. MZ5J-ZK9 contributed by Family Search listing two sets of parents for Elias.  If you will remove George Washington II and unknown spouse from the record you submitted, I will get Family Search to remove George Washington II and unknown spouse as the parents of Elias.

Elias' cause of death was not stated.  He escaped the diphtheria epidemic in 1886. (See attached)

I would also be interested in knowing how you are related to the family.

Sincerely,

In answer to this e-mail Jackie responded:
Dear Laurence,

I have tried to delete George Washington Gee and each time I do I get the response, I cannot because there is more than one contributor.  If you could help me through it I will be only too glad to help in solving this issue.  I am sorry this has caused such a problem.  Jackie

I wrote her back as follows:
Dear Jackie,

I will have to work this through Family Search Support. With your permission I will work up a case and send you a copy.  This is something I do all the time. 

Elias Smith Gee Person identifier: K2MC-SVS has 11 combined records and all are correct.

Elias Amos Gee Person identifier: KWZG-N1T has 30 combined records and all are correct.

Elias Amos II Gee Person identifier: KLM9-C5K has 4 combined records and all are correct.

Elias Gee Person identifier: LH27-8V9 has 10 combined records and as noted above 2 list incorrect parents. They list George Washington Gee as a father when it should be Lysander Gee.

In George Washington Gee II Person identifier: KWZG-Z41 record he is listed with three spouses.  Sophina, Ursula and Unknown. With the unknown spouse there is one child, Elias Gee the subject of our discussion.

George Washington II did not have an unknown wife.  He only had two wives, Sophina and Ursula.  Both were named in his court documents for unlawful cohabitation, copies in my possession.

I hope that this is enough documentation to have Data Administration resolve this issue. 

This note was placed in the discussions in Elias’ record last year.
Confusion of Eilas
Description
Elias Gee MZ5J-ZK9 is a son of Lysander Gee and Theresa Bowley. He died without marrying at the age of 15. Because his name is Elias Gee he is often confused with his cousin Elias Amos Gee who married Francis Matilda Bean. Please contact me if you have any questions. Laurence.gee @gmail.com
Contributor
2 August 2011byIvin Laurence Gee

Elias Gee is my great grand uncle.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, you keep such good tabs on your family. You are impressive. I need to make sure that in my own files, my Elias are correct. Looking at this post, I should be able to have them straightened out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete